It’s finally here! This is the spaghetti-sauce-from-scratch featured on our Header! This recipe comes from Ming Thompson, who is a fantastic cook and baker. The key to this recipe is simply getting good quality fresh veggies – they will make all the difference!
Ingredients (serves 4-5 people)
- 5 tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 6-7 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- pasta of choice
- salt and pepper
- If you so desire: ground meat for meatballs
Here we go!
1. Chop up all your veggies – garlic, onion, bell peppers into pretty small pieces so that they’re bite sized 🙂 Take tomatoes (oooh, notice how I didn’t call tomatoes = veggies! I know, I’m too good) and slice into 8ths.
2. Start cooking garlic in olive oil.
3. Add in onions until they’re turning ever so slightly brown!
4. Add in bell peppers (ain’t that purdy).
5. Add in tomatoes and grape tomatoes – this is where all your “sauce” will come from. Leave the whole mixture to boil for a while, until you see the tomato peels start to “roll up” into very sharp, skinny long rolls.
6. Add pasta, add a little basil, and voila! Homemade pasta sauce. Use cornstarch if it ain’t saucy enough.
And if you so desire…
Doesn’t this look ever so slightly like Texas?
Texas Roll ‘Em
And to bid you farewell…
A happy basil plant 🙂